Saturday 26 May 2012

Why, Oh Why Another Blog?

I already have a web log covering a long-term project of mine, to translate the poem Beowulf. If you think you may be interested, it's here. However, Old English poetry is far from the only thing I am interested in. I have a degree in anthropology and archaeology from years ago, so I try to keep an eye on important discoveries in those fields. (Neanderthal genes in modern humans, Denisovans, "hobbits" in Indonesia, and monumental architecture in Turkey that was put up by hunter-gatherers, unbelievably, 12,000 years ago). I am interested in a healthy public domain, and what movies, books, and music I can download legally because the copyright has expired. I enjoy using computer software that can be distributed and modified by anyone. I am enjoying the capabilities of a minority choice of tablet computer, the Blackberry Playbook. I might write about them. Today, the Dragon Space Capsule docked with the International Space Station. Its maker, SpaceX, has joined an exclusive club of entities that can do this: the U.S., Europe, Japan, and China. It's a wonderful precursor of an age when individuals and companies enter space for themselves. I may yet see images of people on Mars, though I will, most likely, be too old to join them. I have written a book on how to write and read poetry that I will most likely publish. I want to write a book (I have 77 pp. of notes) comparing Chinese Traditional Medicine to Greek, Roman, and Medieval Medicine. They are surprisingly similar. Let us just say that my education is far from over, and I think it is worthwhile to document it. Thus, this blog rejoices in the Title "My Continuing Education."

No comments:

Post a Comment